Job Seeker Home
(this posting is closed/inactive)
KGI School of BioPharmacy
Assistant Dean for Experiential Education
Claremont, CA 91711 United States
Academic - All
Academic - Assistant Dean
Academic - Experiential Coordinator
Keck Graduate Institute of Applied Life Sciences (KGI) is creating an innovative School of BioPharmacy offering a doctor of pharmacy (PharmD) degree program. We seek members of the administrative team who will share our unique vision and lead the design of a new approach to pharmacy education strongly connected to KGI’s entrepreneurial spirit building on its partnerships with the health care and biotechnology industries. The school will admit its inaugural class in fall 2014, pending accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
The Assistant Dean for Experiential Education will have primary oversight for development and implementation of the Experiential Education curriculum for the School of BioPharmacy. The responsibilities of this position will include assisting in the accreditation efforts for the School, working with the health care community to develop partnerships and sites for faculty and student placements. The Assistant Dean for Experiential Education will have primary responsibility for evaluating the practice experience courses and sites, developing clinical affiliates, and providing oversight for quality assurance.
This position, at the rank of assistant or associate professor:
• Serves as a direct report to the Senior Associate Dean for the School of Bio Pharmacy
• Is a member of the Executive Committee for the School
• Will supervise a Director for Experience Education (faculty), a Coordinator for Experiential Activities (staff), and an Administrative Assistant
• Will participate in the oversight of 200 – 300 clinical affiliates (preceptors)
1. Supports and participates in accreditation activities as required in cooperation with other Associate/Assistant Deans and the Founding Dean of the School.
2. Reviews and approves new experiential education site.
3. Secures affiliation agreements for experiential education sites.
4. Conducts and supervises site visits.
5. Prepares volunteer/adjunct/affiliate faculty appointments, reappointments and evaluations.
6. Provides oversight for assignment and management of experiential education schedules for all students.
7. Serves as liaison among faculty, staff and students in matters involving experiential education. This includes but is not limited to:
• Disseminating information regarding the experiential program
• Developing appropriate assessment activities/reports
• Handling difficulties with preceptors or students on rotation
• Achieving strategic initiatives, goals and objectives
• Following policies and procedures
8. Plans, develops and delivers clinical faculty and preceptor development.
9. Delegates administrative and management tasks and supervises personnel as appropriate.
10. Develops and implements policies and procedures that align with accreditation and association standards, guidelines and educational outcomes related to experiential education.
11. Works with faculty and staff to evaluate and streamline processes using progressive technology while maintaining continued quality of the experiential training programs.
12. Supervises the development and maintenance of up-to-date program manuals and experiential education course syllabi.
13. Identifies procedures to recognize excellence in precepting students (e.g., conduct clinical affiliate recognition workshops, provide clinical affiliate recognition certificates).
14. Develops proposals for experiential training initiatives and obtains support for new and/or continuing activities (e.g., program expansion, regional initiatives).
15. Participates in teaching as appropriate to faculty appointment and area(s) of expertise.
16. Conducts scholarship that advances the theory and practical application of experiential learning and the development of experiential education faculty/personnel.
17. Participates in professional affairs activities of local, state and national pharmacy organizations.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, training, experience:
1. Pharm.D., Ph.D., or Masters with pharmacy practice experience.
2. Eligible for licensure as Pharmacist.
3. Record of accomplishment in scholarship, teaching and/or service eligible for academic appointment at the rank of assistant or associate professor.
4. Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with campus and external constituents.
5. Ability to develop and maintain effective and constructive collaborative relationships with faculty and administration.
6. Ability to handle multiple priorities; excellent organizational skills.
7. Ability to work independently and as an effective team member.
8. Valid driver’s license and accessibility to transportation for travel between campuses and to off-site locations.
9. Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background check. Candidates for hire will be required to sign a waiver authorizing the background check and produce a Social Security Card.
Keck Graduate Institute: Founded in 1997 as the newest member of the Claremont Colleges, KGI is the first graduate institution in the United States dedicated exclusively to applied life sciences education and research aimed at translating the power and potential of the life sciences into practice for the benefit of society. KGI offers innovative programs that integrate life sciences, engineering, and business with a focus on industry projects, internships, and team collaborations. More information about KGI is available at
Terms & Conditions